Charles came home from his conference in New Orleans last night and actually made good time, returning by 9:00 pm. This was an international conference for the Latin American archives or something like that. He presented there with one of his colleagues and said it went very well. I'm just glad to have him home again, safe and sound. Next year this conference is in Berlin. I don't think that will be in the budget.
Initially I wasn't jealous of his being in New Orleans. It hasn't been a city I've ever wanted to visit and I can't put my finger on exactly why. But when I called Charles at his hotel, he told me he was staying at a historic hotel in the French Quarter and had taken a walk down Bourbon Street, I was a little envious. I have heard of these places and wished I had remembered to hand him the camera when he left at 3:30 in the morning on Monday.
Before we found out we were going to have Beebs come to our family, we were both planning on going to the SAA (Society of American Archivists) conference in San Francisco this year. I've never been there, either; have never been to California and have never wanted to, except to visit San Francisco. Alas, it will have to wait a little longer.
3 comments:
I've been to NO before and walked down Bourbon Street
Positives:
Historic Bourbon Street
Cool Houses
Very good food
Negatives
Pervading smell of urine
Guess that you have to pick and choose.
One of my high school friends and her husband SO want to take me to New Orleans... during Mardi Gras... just to see the look on my face. D:
I am so glad I was able to do some traveling before I had kids. I've seen New York, San Francisco, and Washington D.C., and Steve and I both got to Boston before our oldest was born. :) But now... it's going to be a good long time before we travel much of anywhere. That's okay, though. I wouldn't trade my family for anything.
Another negative about Bourbon Street: all the strip clubs.
Post a Comment