18 January 2015

Scheduling

Just when I thought I had a whole week uninterrupted, interruptions begin to encroach. I used to be so NOT busy. I miss those days. I usually spent parts of them reading. Mavis is in half-day kindergarten and needs picked up at 11:20. Boy, have I come to acknowledge that half-day kindergarten is nice for the first week or two of transitioning a child into public school but after that they can go all day. Mavis has even indicated that boarding-kindergarten would be awesome. Then there is Neve whom I am still breastfeeding. This is time-consuming still and, while she is a patient, sweet baby, there is a point where she just wants milk and lets us know in terms of increasing volubility. We are pleased to have started her on mashed potatoes this week. She LOVES them. And they make her tummy happily full. AND Chas can do the feeding!

Between these two wonderful girls I am in a constant state of interrupted thoughts and tasks and projects and sleep. Therefore, it grinds on me when the outside world encroaches without warning. If someone wants to come over they had better call first - several days in advance. If someone wants me to be somewhere and the request is out of the ordinary they had better ask several days in advance. There are those individuals who groove on being around other people and then there are those (like me) for whom being around a group of people is draining. I can do it and manage nicely if it is PLANNED OUT.  And believe me - I plan things out. Everyone's time is worth something. My time is priceless because I am a mother.

I am sure people forget how demanding an infant is. That though they are portable people the logistics of taking them out of the house are challenging. Even when a child has reached the one-year-old mark there are still diapers to check and shoes and socks to put on and a coat to wrangle. Respect the sanctity of the home, people! Approach a mother with respect to her (lack of free) time and her willingness to give it to you.

No comments: