16 August 2007

back from Vacation

Ah...vacations. Does one ever truly appreciate one's home while living in it? Two and a half weeks of living out of a suitcase and eating a) daily quantities of Mom's comfort food and b) fast food while on the road will wear down even the most stoic individual and make them long for home.

Which we are, now.

Idaho is a lovely place and it was tremendous fun to show more of it to Charles. I still know my way around Idaho Falls and could find my sisters' homes with minimum directions. We were able to attend the temple and I had my first truly emotional experience there which had little or nothing to do with the person for whom I was standing proxy.

I saw my brother and met his new wife. We had cookouts and the annual Sisters and Mom lunch at Johnny Carinos. Craft stores might still be recovering from our whirlwind shopping tour and we got to spend a lovely evening with Charles parents the night before his mom's birthday.

Charles was able to hike Mount Timpanogos again for (possibly) the seventh time and made it all the way to the summit. He loves that mountain with a hiker's passion. While he was hiking I visited with my dear friends Wendy and Brian and we were able to convince Jen and Steve to spend part of the day with us, too. It was so much fun.

And then the drive home. There is a fly in every ointment of a good vacation and ours was driving all day from Pleasant Grove to Cortez, Colorado and having our car stop. We had just checked into the motel and were going to move our car to the back, nearer our room, and he just wouldn't turn over. Dead battery. So the next morning we called AAA and the nice man came and jumped our car, we drove the 1/2 mile to AutoZone and bought a new battery and we were on our way, still able to get home before dark and all was well.

It is fabulous to be home. I've said this fifty times to Charles and he agrees every time. We truly feel vacationed and rested and ready to be here again. Charles is back at work this morning and life is in order. Wow. I've got more energy than I've had for months and the future looks bright and full of fun projects and ideas and holidays.

We are very blessed.

No comments: