05 August 2009

and August begins

It has been hot this week, over 100*, but it is the dry kind that allows the swamp coolers to actually function. This is a good thing. What is not a good thing is to have slumped around Mom's house and now my own for over a month. So here we are, having walked to campus instead of driving and it is nice to have had the slight exertion for my poor legs and back. They are tired of sitting around, too.

I've had a cleaning bug lately and have even culled some old magazines, keeping only the articles or pictures or recipes I want. I am determined to have my house in better order by the time Chas goes on his conference trip because when he comes back he'll be working again and I won't have his assistance at home to keep the chores up.

Mavis is low-crawling very speedily around the house. She's found that we have not only a living room, but a kitchen and a hallway. She's learned that doors swing open when she pulls on the bottom of them and I don't know what I'll do if she finds the play pen to be a place of screaming and fussing.

She is learning the cadences and rhythms of speech. Her jabber sounds like she's learned the right intonations and sometimes she answers us in her own little language and in such a way as to make us think she truly does understand what we are saying. Still no teeth, though.

No comments: