25 June 2011

Faith and Endurance

Faith: the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

I've been thinking a lot about faith lately. This is the verse that came to mind just now as I was pondering again. Two words in this verse strike me every time: substance and evidence. These words bring to mind solidity, tangibleness. How can I apply them truly to my seemingly ephemeral faith? Surely I want my faith to bring about real experiences and changes. I know faith has changed me. An evidence of that is that once again I am exercising faith in the hopes of Chas getting new employment. There is nothing I can do to influence the decision-making of the search committee. But I can hope and pray and have faith that the Lord knows best; that He is aware of my faith and my hopes and my desires and dreams. I've told Him about them. Several other people are telling Him about theirs in our behalf. Do I have enough faith to endure the answer if it is "no"?

No comments: