22 April 2008

"I'm a pepper!"


There are maybe two people who will get that reference, oh well.

Beebs is the size of a green pepper this week. This goes over very well in our house since we live in New Mexico where peppers and chiles rule supreme. Being the size of a turnip was Not Cool.

The spring winds have begun to abate and our weather here is starting to be hot and lovely. I can deal with a certain amount of degrees, but not with wind and dust in my eyes. Last year walking home from campus I had to clean Arizona out of my west-facing ear and decided it wasn't worth it to walk during the days when the winds blew. It makes for a rather home/carbound life, but now that can change. I was able to get out and walk for days last week and that was very nice.

Round ligaments HURT when they stretch. I found this out on my walk home last week. Nothing to worry about, I found, but painful all the same. Let me rant a little here about pregnancy books and such. A lot of the information in them is stupid and not helpful at all. Here I am, pregnant for the first time and needing all the common sense a pregnancy brain can conjure up. So, I turn to family, friends and experienced people to help REASSURE me about these changes in my body and my life. I don't need advice like the following.

(1) Now is a good time to stop doing drugs and smoking cigarettes. (Word of Wisdom, amen.)
(2) Morning sickness can last more than the first trimester. Keep saltines by your bed and move slowly. (Never had morning sickness.)
(3) Sex will not hurt the baby. (Duh!!!!)

What I would like to see in these books (of which I have two) is a description of what round ligaments (and a sketch of where they are located) feel like when they stretch followed by a caption that says this is nothing to worry or bother your practitioner about. I'd rather have an entry about relaxin and what it does and that it can affect one's sleep. Thank goodness for pregnant friends who can enlighten me. I am glad I have not depended too much on printed material for information.

But, I must say that there is one phrase I keep hearing from friends and relatives alike that drives me into a frenzy. "Just wait..." AS IF I HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO!!!!!! I am, have become, a professional wait-er. To these people I will say, "Forget not that a pregnant woman counts hours, not just days, weeks and months! We have a whole pregnancy of waiting!"

Okay, I am done now.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

Yay for little pepper-sized Beebs, and boo for achy round ligaments! Keep up the walking, though...I found that my second pregnancy went MUCH better than my first, and I attribute it to the miles and miles of early-morning walks I did with Cynthia and Margaret. We got slower as we got farther along, but we kept at it.